Sunday, June 3, 2007

This is how ridiculous I am sometimes. I've been home ALL day. Reading. Talking to friends on the phone. All of a sudden, I realized it was 8.30pm- and I had no word. I was desperate. Thinking - "maybe I'll knock on the neighbor's door. Ask her for a word. "(except, as W. pointed out, it was almost 9pm on a Sunday in Texas, which is probably the wrong thing to do to stay peaceful with my neighbor) or "well, maybe the neighbor downstairs." (cause I know them and we run into each other at crazy times) I even thought, "I'll have my dog Flower give me a paw print." Des-per-ate! Yes. I see the approaching lightning overhead, the tremble of thunder that signals a Texas thunderstorm. So, what did I do? I went to the grocery store.

It was all fine leaving my house. The rain had not yet started. I'm wandering through the vegetable aisle - pick up some carrots, broccoli. A couple of green plums. Wander over to the frozen food section. And that's where I find him. Dongjae. He was super cool, his hair tucked back, also wandering through the frozen food aisle. Did the standard intro, and he was like, "sure." so he wrote: Hello of Korean on my write arm. It's "hello" in Korean.

And then, it hits me. There is a raging Texas thunderstorm that is shaking the grocery store roof. And I have to get home. And not only that. I have to protect the word. Alas, I had not brought my camera with me. I wrapped a fruit bag around my arm and darted through the rain, just barely making it. Everything was soaked. My T-shirt. My pants. My shoes. There was a waterfall by my front door. My dog refused to have anything to do with me. But,

I had the word.



And, not just that, but it was written in a diagnol so that I had to take two photos to capture it. Okay - I know. You can barely see the words in the photo, but still, isn't it cool just to know that it's there?

By the way - those dots you see in the photo - it's not your eyes - it's the rain.

No comments: