Friday, June 15, 2007


Rasa Hollander June 15, 2006


I ran into Rasa Hollander at the Jones Center opening for New American Talent. In the middle of the crowded floor, I asked her to write a word on me, and she picked "tevyne" which is homeland in Lithuanian. She chose it cause she thought I could totally understand. Since she hasn't been to Lithuania for awhile and is feeling the hankering (I was talking about missing Santo Domingo).

Shortly after, I went to the bar and got a glass of wine. As Rasa was saying goodbye the wine crashed into her elbow and then down onto the floor, splattering across her pants and shoes. Mazel tov! Marco (her friend) said. I echoed the cheer. Annette, who it just so happened that the last time she saw me, my wine was also knocked onto the floor, just laughed. Maybe it was for her ancestors?

A few hours and many bad 80s songs later (remixed for the dance club), I stumbled into my apartment and realized my Polaroid camera was in the guest room, where my guest was quietly sleeping. So W. got her digital out and took the photo - before the pillow would have a chance to wipe the word away for ever.

No comments: