Friday, June 22, 2007

I went to D'Lo's show - Ramblations - tonight. And afterwards a group of us went to go get something to eat and to hang out. Tisa, who was not able to make the show, joined us. I asked her to write on me. She contemplated the word for a half hour. Wrote it out on a napkin. Checked in with Erica, sitting next to her, as to the correct spelling, and then very graciously spelled out "palimpsest" along my collarbone - following the curve of my undershirt no less. Brilliant.

First off, I love Tisa's writing. It's almost Victorian. Second of all, I love that she wrote it out on a napkin first. Third of all, we contemplated for quite a while as to where the word would fit. And lastly, she measured it out along my collarbone before writing it. Amazing.

We were sitting at this restaurant, eating really good food in the midst of an avant-garde picture show: trees and landscapes flashing in LCD screens around us (you can see branches in the top right hand corner of the picture).

Then we all posed for pictures. D'Lo's friend (whose name I'm forgetting - but she was really cool), took this photo. That's why you get the face - my face that is. And D'Lo, too (D'Lo - you are too FUNNY!! What you doin' checkin' out my palimpsest?) and I had had a Brooklyn Lager - thus the HUGE grin on my face.

Finally, we wandered outside into the cool mid-summer air, and realized that none of us knew what palimpsest meant. At which point, Erica - word genius - defined it for us. "Words layered upon words." Rona chimed in "It's basically dirty laundry."

Ha.

Well, if this is dirty laundry, give me more baby. Give me more! It's occasions like this that I feel that little word addiction coming back. Like I can't wait until tomorrow to get another word. But alas, I shall.

No comments: