Saturday, July 28, 2007

This morning I stumbled out of bed, late to meet my friend for breakfast. I don't know what I was thinking, partying until 4am and then thinking I'd be up at 8.30AM for breakfast. I didn't make it on time. I woke up at 9.15am and called my friend, begging her to wait for me. Which she did. And we had a delicious breakfast (if you're wondering I had the Plato Centroamericano which comes with eggs, black beans, sweet plantain and crema) at Las Manitas. And then we walked outside. I made it all the way to the car before realizing that I wanted to get my word right then and there. So as my friend wandered around the corner and I realized I wasn't going to chase her down, I meandered back to the restaurant in the hopes of finding someone to give me a word. And there they were.

There were three women furiously sifting through materials spread out on the bench in front of Las Manitas. More precisely, two women furiously sifting and another woman was watching, lending moral support as she stood with her parasol to the side of the commotion. Naturally, I was going to approach her.

Turns out Anonymous word writer is Japanese, and I believe is only visiting Austin. I explained what I was doing and she looked around, scared and nervous for a second (who is this person? why is she asking me to write on her?), so she called to the woman she was with, and Ring Leader turned around and demanded to know what I was doing (kindly, of course). So, I explained to her and she said, "Cool." and took the cap off the marker. Then she turned to Anonymous and said, "But you can write in another language. You should do it." So, Anonymous very quickly scrawled a word on my arm. And then the frenetic panic kicked in. Ring Leader explained, "We're on a scavenger hunt." "Yes," said Anonymous, "I thought you were also on the scavenger hunt."

No. Just getting a word. Just being little old me getting a word. I introduced myself to Anonymous and she nodded and said, "Yes." and I figured that was all that was going to happen today. I was going to get the word "cat" in Japanese, and frenetic nods. No names, no "maybe I'll see you around town."

I don't even know what they were looking for. But I found a cat, people. It's on my arm. In Japanese lettering.

I think next time I'll aim to leave my house for brunch.


Anonymous July 28, 2007

No comments: