Thursday, July 12, 2007

At first I didn't know what she'd written. And then she said, "Can I tell you?" We were at a local Mexican restaurant. There was West African music blasting overhead and so we were shouting at each other. I said, "Okay."

"Cancer. I wrote cancer."

It was the first time someone wrote something on me where I was totally mortified. I'm terrified of cancer and all that it brings, and have people close to me who are living and battling cancer. Florinda did not know this about me, though.

"Grrl - why did you write cancer on me?"

"Because this nine-year-old boy in my class told me today that he has cancer. Leukemia. I didn't realize he had cancer until he told me. It's been on my mind all day."

And then, I thanked her. For humbling me with this word. For inviting me to share something that moved her so deeply. And for allowing all of us at that table to share the weight of our struggles.


1 comment:

Cristina Paola T. P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.