Saturday, July 14, 2007

So this morning, pre-caffeine, post-spilling tea all over myself (as I got out of the car, which was parked on an angle, I placed my open mug of tea on the roof of the car where it promptly slipped off, onto me and then under the truck right behind me), I trudged to the post office. Tea on my white pants and everything. There are only two post offices in Austin that are open on Saturday and I had to mail off a grant, so I was going to do it despite being a walking disaster.

After taping my grant envelope shut - mind you, the address was INSIDE the envelope, thereby requiring that I untape it to retrieve the address - I went to my place in line. Standing behind me was a young woman to whom I turned and promptly asked if she'd like to write on me.

"Sure!"

Her enthusiasm made me enthusiastic, too. I suddenly felt myself waking up.

"A word, huh? Any word? Hmm. Let me think about this."

"Sure."

"Do people usually think awhile before writing a word?"

"Not always. It can really be anything. Anything at all."

"Okay." Her gaze took in the post office in an attempt to receive inspiration. She decided, "I'll write something nice." and wrote "unity" on my left arm.

We continued to wait in line, made small talk. And when all was over, we introduced ourselves twice to each other and waved goodbye about five times. It was great.

I then went outside, W. took my photo. Do not be confused by the word on my t-shirt "Mariposa" which means butterfly in Spanish. Today's word is really on my arm. Frankly, I think I look like one of those models from the Modell's catalogues. And no, that's not a pained expression on my face, it's a decaffeinated smile.

No comments: