Friday, May 25, 2007

Here I am at a rest stop in Oklahoma - off of route I-44. It's the rest stop with "the largest McDonald's in the world". Or so they say. It's this huge glass monstrosity overlooking the highway. The great thing was - they had chai at the cafe attached to the McDonald's. Anyway - so I have my chai, and I'm sitting outside. I got my FIRST REJECTIONS today. Yes. The very first. And not just one, but three. I first went up to one guy and he listened to me very politely (got to hand it to Midwesterners on the polite tip), and then very firmly said, "No, thank you." I was shocked. Then, I went up to this other guy, a big bear of a guy and I asked him if he'd be interested in writing on my arm for a writing project. He responded with a clear, "No." At this point, I realized I was no longer in Austin, Texas. I was in...Oklahoma. So, I decided to try approaching a woman. But, as I called to this woman, she gently clutched her purse and walked briskly away. Sigh.





So, Jim, sweet Jim was standing by the door waiting for his friend/wife/partner? and I went up to him. He seemed kind of concerned with the seriousness of the project. He said, "It's got to be a word of some significance." "Sure." I responded. So, after I explained the project to his friend/wife/partner - no need to get someone riled up - he very pointedly wrote the word`Remember' on my arm.

Well, Jim, I will most certainly remember your kindness.

Walking away, I surmised that they were probably from Texas. Maybe even California. Who knows - maybe they were from Oklahoma. That would be a relief.

No comments: