Friday, August 3, 2007

Tonight I was at the Macondo reading at the Esperanza Center. A great group of Macondo writers read their stuff. Joy Harjo played her sax and read her poems and the world looked new again. I have her book "A Map to the Next World", which I read. A lot. And so I went up to her and asked her to sign it. And then, I asked her if she wanted to write a word on me. She looked at me kinda like "is that really what's going on?", but agreed to do it after I showed her "drink" on my right arm. I mean - I just met her. Just like I meet people on the street. Only the set up is different:

Young author/Joy Harjo
Random person coming up to author's table/Author sitting behind table
Writing in books/Writing on bodies

I'm not one who is usually star struck. Half the time I'm sticking my foot way into my mouth and don't even realize that I'm supposed to be star struck. But...I have to admit...I was a little star struck. I mean, really, all I wanted to do was kick back and have some cold water and a great conversation. But it was a reading (refer back to set up discussion above).

So anyway. She agrees to write a word, and she rights "joy" on my left arm.

"Kinda obvious, I know. But hey."

"Yeah - that's awesome. Thanks!"

Awkward moment.

"It was great to meet you. Thanks again."

"Sure."

And onto the next person. I wandered into the crowd, watched from afar for a minute and then Wura and I wandered downstairs to the exhibit where she had spotted this really great piece titled "Willie Ninja (Hot)" by J. Garrett Marmando. And I knew. This was where the photo had to take place. Hot.





Oh - yeah - I also finally went out and bought some Polaroid film. FINALLY.

No comments: