Wednesday, August 1, 2007


Derek August 1, 2007

"Cause I always forget things." Awesome word, Derek.

I needed to forget a few things today. You know when you have those days? Today was one. I needed to forget that moment when I leaned down under a metal bin and then stood straight up and bumped my head. And I needed to forget a couple of really awful comments that I heard floating in the air.

A word like forget makes me feel philisophical. Like what do we choose to forget and remember? As a people, cultures and societies, what do we forget and remember? What has been forgotten and what does our memory hold despite what's been omitted?

I remember (ha! see - memory in process) this sub-plot in Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver, when the main character (I forgot her name and have had to go look it up) Codi Noline remembers having seen her mother's death. But everyone, all the adults in her life, insist on telling her that she was not there that day. Because I don't want to ruin the story, I won't say what happens, but let's just say: her memory of her mother's death becomes critical to revealing truths about her life that she had been unaware of.

And how do we quantify or qualify memory? Where does truth really lie?

See - it does make me feel philisophical. And, I need to go sleep some more. So, I'm off to dream - and hopefully, remember my dreams.

1 comment:

jpower said...

why some people be mad at me-lucille clifton

becouse some people want me to remember their memories and
i keep on remembering mine.


all my peeps are accounted for. lots of spirits floating around. and fear-trying to stick to what ever it can. war and post 9/11 flashbacks abound. as well as anti arab racism already on the rise....

much love,
jna