Tuesday, August 14, 2007


"Candle" is the word today. Which of course makes me think of the Elton John song "Candle in the Wind" which W. sang at dinner. Michelle had just been contemplating candles before I asked her. She was appropriately cynical, though oddly so for folks in Austin - more like what I would expect from East Coasters. She asked me why the word had to be written on my arm. I responded by saying that she could write on my neck or legs if she preferred, that is, if she was interested in writing at all. She agreed - yay!

It's always a tenuous moment when I ask someone to write a word. There's sometimes a slight hesitation, and I'm never sure what it's about. But then people let out their breath, and either agree or disagree. Some folks never betray their emotions in the process. Others beam them.

With only 9 days left, I'm starting to get a little nostalgic - already.

No comments: